This vegetarian “dashi” or Japanese vegetable stock is great for Asian inspired recipes including soups and sauces. The base is the same: 8 inches of kombu (dried kelp) soaked in water to rehydrate and then simmered in 8 cups of water. I like to add dried shitake mushrooms, garlic, ginger and a sprig of thyme for a more flavorful stock.
• 8 inches Kombu
• 3-4 roughly chopped dried shitake mushrooms (include stems)
• 1 knob thinly sliced ginger
• 2-3 halved garlic cloves
• 2-3 sprigs thyme
1. Rehydrated kombu and shitake mushroom by covering with water.
2. Soak 1-2 hours, or until mushrooms are soft and pliable.
3. Add 8 cups water and all other aromatics.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Strain through a sieve.
Yields approximately 2 quarts