Recipe of the Week by Natalia Rose Institute Executive Chef Doris Choi: Beets & Thyme
Marinated Beets with Thyme
You can enjoy this neutral dish either cooked or raw.
• 4 medium beets, roasted* and cubed, or raw** and shredded
• ½ medium red onion, finely diced
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 tsp thyme, picked off sprigs
• ½ grapefruit, juice and zest
• Sea salt and pepper to taste
Toss all ingredients together.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap whole, unpeeled beets with tinfoil and bake in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until soft when pierced with a knife. To remove the skins easily, throw the warm beets in a paper bag and rub the bag till the skins slide off.
*Want this recipe raw? Substitute roasted beets for raw beets, shredded or julienned for easier absorption of marinade.